Eid Ghadeer: Amaal for the Day
Dated: October 2, 2015
Hasan bin Rashid asked Imam Jafar e Sadiq(as), ‘May I be sacrificed for you, is there any other Eid of Muslims in addition to the two Eids (Eid-ul-Fitr and Eid-e-Qurban)?’ Imam Jafar e Sadiq(as) replied: ‘Yes, O Hasan! In fact that Eid is better and more blessed than these two Eids.’
He asked, ‘When is that Eid?’ Imam (as) replied, ‘The day when Ali(as) was made the leader of the people.’
He asked, ‘May I be sacrificed for you, when is that day?’ Imam(as) said, ‘It is on 18th of Zilhajj.’ He asked, ‘May I be sacrificed for you, what are our duties on this day?’ Imam (as) said, ‘Observe fast on this day and recite the Durood plentifully for Muhammad (sawaw) and his progeny. Also keep away from those people who troubled them and denied their rights. Prophets would order that this day of appointment of their successor should be observed as Eid.’ He asked, ‘What is the reward of a person fasting on this day?’ Imam (as) replied, ‘He would get the reward equal to fasting for sixty months.’ [Reference: Sawaabul A’amaal, page 110]
Eid Ghadeer is indeed the most auspicious Eid for believers. As such we draw closer to Allah and the Ahlul Bayt (as) through performing acts of worship.
The following amaal are recommended on this day:
1. It is recommended to take bath early in the day for purification.
2. Observe fast on this day.
3. Recite Ziarat-e-Ameenallah and Ziarat-e-Mutliqah.
4. Recite Ziarat-e-Nudbah.
5. Offer 2 rakaat prayer of Eid-e-Ghadeer before mid-day. In each Rakaat after Sura Hamd recite 10 times Sura Ahad (Qul ho Allah ho Ahad), 10 times Sura Qadr (Inna anzalna ho fi lailat-il-Qadr) and 10 times Ayat al-Kursi. This prayer is highly rewarding and whatever dua is asked for from Allah(swt), inshallah, will be granted. It is recommended to recite this prayer closer to but before mid-day since that was the time when Prophet (sawa) announced the successorship and nomination of Imam Ali (a.s.) as master of the faithfuls.
After the prayers go into prostration and recite 100 times "Shukran Lillah" and 100 times " Alhamd-o-lillah". Imam Jafar Sadiq (a.s.) says that whoever does so will be like a person who accepted the Imamate and Caliphate of Imam Ali (a.s.) and pledged allegiance at the Ghadeer-e-Khum in front of Prophet Muhammad (sawa). The person who performs this act will also like those who will be with the Imam-e-Zamana (a.s.) under his flag.
6. It is customary among the followers of Ahl-e-Bait (a.s.) to greet each other on this day and shake their hands and say to each other the following : "Akhaituka fil lah-e wa safetoka fil lah-e wa safahtoka fil lah-e wa aahad tullah-a wa malaekatahu wa kutubahu wa rusulahu wa ambiya-uhu wa aaimmatul ma'soomeena alaihumus salam ala anni in kuntu min ahlil jannati wash shafa'ate wa oozina lee be an adkhulal jannah la adkhulaha illa wa anta ma ee aa".
The other momin/momina should also greet him/her saying: "Asqat tu anka jame'ah haqooq-il ukhuwate ma khalad dua-e waz ziarat-e wash shafa-ah"
7. Recite 100 times :
ALH'AMDU LILLAAHILLAD'EE JA-A'LA KAMAALA DEENIHI WA TAMAAMA NIA'-MATIHI BIWALAAYATI AMEERIL MOOMINEENA ALIYYIBNA ABEE T'AALIB
[Praise be to Allah, who had perfected His religion and completed His favour with the establishment of Ali ibn Abi Talib's authority, peace be on him.]
We pray that all momineen reap the benefits of today, and do not forget to share the glad tidings of today with those less fortunate.
Sayed Mohammad Al-Musawi
World Ahlul Bayt Islamic League (WABIL)